5.10.2013

Grandma Schumacher

I don't even know where to start. My heart is heavy. I am missing her a lot tonight.

My sweet Grandma passed away the night before Easter. I hope it was painless.
I awoke on Easter Sunday to MacKay saying, "Shanna, your Mom is trying to get ahold of you, It's your Grandma, she died last night." I jumped up instantly awake, my mind whirling, "Which Grandma?!" I asked, "Schumacher" he said. I was in shock, I didn't know what to feel, I grabbed my phone and called my Mom. It didn't feel real. She confirmed what MacKay had told me, no tears came, just numb. After I talked with my Mom, I walked into the living room where MacKay had Brent, he heard me coming and set the baby down turned and welcomed me in his arms. I sobbed.

I still can't believe she is gone. I didn't even get to say goodbye. Snipits of my last conversation with her a few days earlier ran through my mind,  "We will come visit this summer, you can meet Brent." "I miss you." "Get feeling better." "I hope you like your new home." "Goodnight, I love you."

I felt sick.

We had just made it home the day before, Saturday, from Cokeville with a lot of family from Cheyenne that had traveled to be at my Shower. Lindsay and her family were heading home Sunday until the news. That day went by as a blur, as my sister, Lindsay and her daughter, Avery came to stay with us, instead of travel home to Las Vegas, to attend the funeral. We spent the day booking flights to Denver and packing to make the appropriate weight limit, and laundry, the next day Her and I packed up our kids and left for the SLC Airport. Devin headed home to Vegas for school and would join us the day before the funeral. MacKay had work and couldn't get away.

I won't even mention the airport experience!

We were met at the Denver Airport from my Mom and her sister, Aunt Cindy. My Mom had traveled back with Cindy and her family from Cokeville to Cheyenne, my Dad would join later for the funeral. We drove straight from Denver to Cheyenne just in time to make the appointment with my Grandma's bishop to arrange the funeral. Due to my grandma having some health problems the past few months, she had everything planned and in order in case this happened. She had in her plans of the funeral that she wanted my Mom to talk, and my uncle Tony. She also wanted Me, Lindsay and my Mom to sing a song of our choice at the funeral. We chose my favorite hymn, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives"

The next few days were filled with family, and planning. Even though we were brought together because of this awful circumstance, we were grateful for the time we got to spend with family that we never see. My Mom asked Lindsay and I to help her dress my Grandma. I was really freaked out and nervous. When we got there, and I saw her, I started to cry. I hadn't seen her since Andrew left on his mission, a year and a half ago! In that moment I missed her more than ever. My fears went out the window as I stared at my beautiful Grandma. She was no longer in pain, she was with her Father above. Dressing her was the most spiritual experience I have ever had. The last service I could do for her. It was the closure that I needed, as well as my Mom and Sister. When we were saying goodbye, I cried for her not getting to meet Brent. It still haunts me. We should have made the time! I ached for her to hold my baby. Then I realized she was here, seeing him, and would watch him grow through the years. My sister and I had joked that she was with our other children up in heaven, looking after them. "Send them down Grandma!!" Lindsay had said. We laughed for a long time.
My Mom told me that when they went into her room at the Home she had just moved too, sitting on her made-up bed was some mail and things, on the top was the announcement of my sweet baby boy. I cry every time I think of it. She was so proud of him, and so wanted to meet him and kiss his cheeks.
Her funeral was beautiful. My uncle Tony did a wonderful job telling about her life, and some funny memories. A great tribute to an amazing woman. We sang, and it touched my heart like no song ever had. I knew in the moment, more than I ever had, that she was happy. I know my Redeemer Lives!
My Mom couldn't have done better with her explanation of the beliefs we shared with my Grandma. Told some fun stories, and made us laugh and cry. The funeral was a perfect memorial for her. She would have loved the flowers, and the people.
My Grandma was a wonderful woman. So loving, always wondering about her kids and grandkids, and great grandkids. She was so proud of who everyone became. So loving to everyone. Kind, sweet and gentle. She had the prettiest hands, nails always done. She had her own smell, that I miss a great deal. I remember she always had treasure candies in a bowl in her kitchen, or starburst jelly beans. I remember her love of animals, and all her knick-nacks.
She is missed everyday, especially by her kids. We will see her again someday, she will be with her husband Jim, and her parents! I think it is very fitting that she died a few hours before Easter Sunday. How amazing would it be, to get to meet your Maker on Easter? It brings tears to my eyes. How incredible.

I love her so much, and can't wait for the day I get to see her again.
I love you Grandma. Watch out for us, would you?



No comments :

Post a Comment

I want to hear your Lovely Thoughts!