11.05.2012

Welcome to Talkeetna!

I am almost done with all my updates on the summer up in AK! I know many of you just don't care to read about our many adventures, however this is for my records! Thus I will keep plucking away at the keyboard until I am caught up. Seems like a never ending task! Bare with me(:

Like I said in my last post, my parents came to visit us in Alaska, and we were able to do a little site seeing!! First we had gone to Whittier on a wonderful Glacier Cruise Tour. (last post) After we came back to Anchorage, we decided to tour a little bit of the city! Since being in Alaska for 2 summers, MacKay and I tried everything possible to avoid the too-big city. My only experience with Anchorage has been too stressful, too busy, too big, too hard to find things, too easy to get lost, too......infuriating! Both of us being county folk, stayed clear. However with my parents we got to see a little bit of the historical side of the huge city, and I found I was caught up in the little tourist shops! We decided to take a trolly tour of the city, it was about an hour long, and it was so fun! Learned a lot of cool facts about the early Anchorage to the Modernized Anchorage! Here are some pics:


Yes, This is what my dad does on the Tour....read maps. (;


After the trolly tour, we took the rental car and found the LDS Temple! It was tiny, we didn't go in, but it was fun to see! (And hard to find!)






After Anchorage, we headed north, made a long detor to Matanuska Glacier, and back, went to a baptism for our good friend Billy Linder, who we met in Alaska, and home to Talkeetna! Here are some pics!

 The Matanuska Glacier: Northeast of Anchorage, about 3 hrs. One of the biggest inland glaciers!

Mom & Dad with "The Sign"...you HAVE to get a pic with The Sign. (:

The sign right at the start of Main Street in Talkeetna! Also, the Sled for the Mushers

Kiss a Moose! All a part of the "Alaska Experience"

Dad was a little harder to convince to take this picture....anyone who knows my Dad...this picture is pretty much a miracle! (; Guess he gave in to my spill about "The Alaska Experience"!!! 

However, he would NOT budge getting on the ancient snowmobile! Oh well!! (: Mom did great!

And I couldn't miss my chance at getting yet another picture with the snowmobile! (;

Down by the Susitna River!

Susitna River right before it forks off into the 3 rivers; Susitna, Chulitna, Talkeetna. On a clear day you would see Mt. McKinley straight behind us in the background! Unfortunately, my parents didn't get to see the Mountain come out the whole week they were there! My dad was discouraged, that was one reason he was most excited to come! About 3 hours after they left Talkeetna, the Mountain decided to make an appearance! Sad! They will just have to come back! (;

Our favorite place to eat EVER. Latitude 62. Favorite Dish is the Beer Battered Halibut! YUM!!

 Oh, and you can't forget to look at MacKay's truck...with his own body work done to the talegate....Emblem and all! (; We fit right in with the Alaskans!!!

My parents also took a trip to Denali National Park. They saw some wildlife, but no Mountain! We loved having them come to our second home! It was so fun to show them around, and have them experience Alaska with us! Thanks for coming Mom and Dad! (:



XOXO-Shanna

No comments :

Post a Comment

I want to hear your Lovely Thoughts!